The YMCA swim lesson programs uses a skill-based approach designed to meet the needs of each child or adult. Sign up today to start your or your child’s journey to water safety.
ADULT SWIM LESSONS — Lessons for adults are offered through the private and semi-private lessons. Lessons are available for those with special needs with an experienced instructor. Please fill out and submit a private lesson application available at front desk.
PRIVATE SWIM LESSONS — Please fill out and submit a private lesson application available at the front desk or online at saymca.org to schedule 30-minute lessons. Receive 15% off when purchasing four or more lessons. IMPORTANT: Please allow several weeks after submitting private swim lessons applications to be contacted by a swim lesson instructor before contacting the front desk.
Private Lesson Fees:
Members: $22, 2nd child $17
Non Members: $34, 2nd child is $29
Semi-Private Lesson Fees:
Members: $15, 2nd child $13
Non Members: $24, 2nd child $22
- Registration must be done in person with payment during the registration window (see above dates).
- Please register on the wait list if a class is full. Additional classes may be added at any time as space/ instructors are available; based on three or more swimmers.
- A 10% discount is given for siblings in the same session.
- A minimum of three students (six for parent/child class) is required to hold class. The Aquatics Coordinator has the right to ask classes with not enough participants to combine with another at a different time, and if that is not possible they have the right to cancel a class and offer a refund/ system credit.
- If you are new to our program and your child has some existing swim skills, please fill out a FREE Swim Evaluation Request form at the front desk. An instructor will assess their skills for proper class placement. Registration for classes beyond Pike and Polliwog level are restricted to returning students, or new students who have completed a skills evaluation. Please submit your evaluation form one week before it is needed for class registration.
- If a student is registered for a class inappropriate to their skill level, the swimmer will be moved if space allows, or given a credit toward future lessons. No refunds are given once a session has started, unless approved by the Swim Lesson Coordinator.
Parent Child I (Ages 6 months – 2 years)
Specifically designed for infants and toddlers with their parent. This is a beginner class to introduce parent/child teams to the aquatic environment through water exploration with songs, games and rudimentary propulsive movements. Emphasis is placed on basic safety and enjoyable experiences for both parents and children.
Parent Child II (Ages 2-3 years)
This class is designed to build on basic introductory skills covered in Parent Child I, such as safety skills and the beginnings of propulsive movement. Parent Child II is recommended for Parent/Child pairs who have already taken Parent Child I and are looking for more skill development. This class is also recommended for Parent/Child pairs whose children may not meet the height/age requirements of the Pike Level Class.
Preschool Aquatics (Ages 3-5 years)
Preschool Aquatics is a progressive program that involves five components: personal growth, personal safety, stroke development, water sports and games, and rescue skills. Progress reports are give to swimmer at the last class.
PIKE — This class is for the child who has had little or no prior water experience and/or is hesitant about going under water. Lessons develop swimming readiness through activities to build a child’s comfort level and self-confidence in the water.
EEL — Must complete all Pike level skills.
RAY/STARFISH (Intermediate) — Must complete all Eel level skills.
Youth Aquatics: (Ages 6-12)
The YMCA youth swim program involves five components: personal growth, personal safety, stroke development, water sports and games, and rescue skills.
POLLIWOG (Beginner) — This class is an introductory class that teaches breath control, efficient kicking on both front and back, effective arm pulls, treading water, and safety.
GUPPY — Must complete all Polliwog level skills.
MINNOW — Must complete all Guppy level skills.
FISH — Must complete all Minnow level classes.
BARRACUDA — Must Complete all Fish level Skills.
Session is January 4 — January 27. Registration for Members November 11 at 5pm and closes December 21.
Registration for Non-Members is November 12 and closes December 21.
Session is February 8-March 3. Registration for Members begins January 27 at 5pm and closes February 4.
Registration for Non-Members is January 28 and closes February 4.
Session is January 8- February 12th. Registration for Members begins November 20 and closes December 21.
Registration for Non-Members is November 21 and closes December 21.
Session is February 26-April 2. Registration for Members begins February 12 and closes February 23.
Registration for Non-Members begins February 13 and closes February 23.
See Home page for lesson schedules.